August 31, 2009

Back to Work

After finally getting the idiots at Employee Health to get their heads out of their ass, I am able to go back to work tonight. I swear, it shouldn't have been so difficult. I have the release from my OB/GYN to work tonight, but I had to schedule a time to go in and be cleared by employee health, too. I called and left a message on the ride home from the hospital on Thursday. They called back Friday, I told them I had surgery, my doc said I could go back Monday night, and that I needed to get in there to be cleared with them. The nurse scheduled me for this a.m. for the drug screen. It seems funny to me because she said there was a possibility that the drugs they gave me during and after surgery could still be in my system, and if that was the case, they'd have to send it out, and then it would be 3 more days. WTF? I had fentanyl, darvocet, versed, but apparently they don't stay in your system too long because I was fine. I had no idea how long they could be detected because after Clara was born, we had labs done for life insurance 2 weeks after my c-section and the drug screen was positive for opiates. My uncle, our insurance agent, called and asked if I had meds after she was born. Um, yeah, lots of them, morphine, percocet, etc. I was just a bit concerned this time because I just want to get back to work and stop sitting around the house. The main issue that came up is I get there for my appointment and the nurse asked what I need clearance for. I told her I had a D&C, to which she said "Oh, well, if you had surgery, you need to be seen by the doctor and he's not here on Mondays". I was pissed. I told her that was why I called last week and told them I had surgery and wanted to be cleared to work Monday. She just said sorry, and rescheduled me for tomorrow a.m. I called one of my charge nurses, told her, she talked to my director who then called EH. 15 minutes later, the EH nurse calls me and says that her boss told her if my drug screen was ok, I could work tonight and see the doc tomorrow. So I drive back, pee in the cup, and I can work tonight. It was a huge pain in the ass. Now I just have to get through this first shift. I checked the schedule and none of the pregnant nurses are working tonight, so that's good. I'll have to see them at some point, but I'm hoping if I can get through this first shift, each one will be a little easier. But, I don't know. We'll see how it goes.

5 comments:

Jennifer (Niffer) said...

Good luck tonight! I'll be praying for you.

Anonymous said...

I am praying for you. It's so hard in this first few weeks after a miscarriage. It's okay to mourn, and I pray comfort for you...

Blessings!
Dawn

mitchsmom said...

Good luck tonight!

Joy@WDDCH said...

Ugh, that does suck! Glad you were able to get it straightened out and get to work!

Taking Heart said...

Working with pregnant nurses status post miscarriage/DNC sucks... been there, done that. I was very tearful at moments... but, no one ever knew. I always thought, I must be so selfish... but now looking back, I really wasn't. I just wanted my baby, too.

On a lighter note, I am a firm believer that employee health (well... anything human resources related) is stupid. Is that mean? lol