March 24, 2010

Pregnancy update

S/S: Oh, man, am I TIRED! Being a mother means that you are tired, and then throw nightshift on top of that and I have my baseline level of tired, but seriously, this pregnancy is kicking my butt. I could sleep all day and all night if I didn't have 3 other kids, a job and things to do. I've been falling asleep with Isaiah around 8:30, and when I wake up with a crick in my neck and my right arm tingling, I crawl into my bed and sleep until the kids wake up. There are many half-awake visits to the bathroom. I'm nauseated pretty much all day and all night, vomiting after almost every meal. I do have Zofran and it's helping, some. I can keep down oatmeal, a bowl of chicken noodle soup, toast, saltines, scrambled eggs (most the time) and 4 chicken nuggets. That's about it. I did eat half a Sub.way sandwich and kept that down yesterday. I'm staying plenty hydrated, because I'm thirsty all the time, but the whole eating thing is annoying. I'm nauseated if I don't eat, but its worse and I vomit when I do. Ugh, gotta love first trimester pregnancy. With this being my 5th pregnancy, I'm pouching out pretty quickly, although the extra padding around my waist doesn't help. I bought a Bell.aband and I've used that a couple times so I could wear my jeans comfortably. I'll start with some belly shots after I see a heartbeating on my sono next Friday. I have acne like a teenager, a short fuse, and cry at nothing. Ok, ok, I guess I cry for nothing anyway, but it is worse! I'm still a little anxious that something is going to go wrong and I won't see that little heart beating away next Friday, but I'm not as neurotic as I was a week ago.

Cravings: not craving anything at this point. I guess I would just like to eat food with more flavor than oatmeal and toast. The strange thing is that I'm hungry, even when I'm nauseated. It just doesn't make sense in my mind, but that's the nature of the beast of pregnancy sickness. The nausea is just a bit different than stomach flu nausea.

Aversions: Diet cola, anything with artificial sweetener leaves a nasty aftertaste in my mouth. Husband was cooking a ham slice the other night and I actually started retching at the smell. That was a new one for me.

Running: I really haven't been running too much because I've been so tired, and given the choice between running and sleep, I've chosen sleep most of the time. Plus, I feel the worst in the evenings, and that's when I'm able to run. I did run the last 2 days out of sheer stubbornness, and it felt good. They were nice, easy relaxing runs as the sun was setting. But, my left quad muscle feels tight and sore today, so I may not run again for a bit. Last thing I need is a pulled muscle right now.

My cat: Audrey, my female cat, has always been more affectionate and would sleep next to me during my other pregnancies. It would promptly end after I delivered. This time, I think she was thinking "Man, I thought you learned! Didn't I teach you anything, you silly human?!" and she had been avoiding me. But this past week, she's been laying on the floor in a sun spot in the bedroom while I sleep. So she's coming around.

2 comments:

Caro said...

Sorry to hear about the puking. I seem to be very interested in vinegar - ate a whole jar of pickled onions the other day - but otherwise few symptoms.

Jennifer said...

OH my goodness - you sound just like me about two weeks ago!!! I could have written that post! Thankfully, I'm coming around although nighttime is still the worst for me - very tired after a long day. Hoping it doesn't last too long for you - soon, you'll feel human again! :)