May 20, 2008

Random thoughts

I realized that I've not posted a whole lot of L&D stories... I guess I've had pretty normal patients lately. I also have updated pics of the all the kids that I plan on posting sometime in the near future. Lately I've been more wrapped up in the lack of sleep I've been getting than anything else.
Today I was reading the paper and ever since I worked in a nursing home as a CNA, I always scan the obits. I noticed today an obituary of a baby girl born in March. I took care of mom while she was in labor and she actually delivered for me. There wasn't anything wrong with baby right after birth and she went home on time as far as I can remember. One of the reasons I remember her is her last name. I worked in a H.S. while in nursing school and she was a senior when I started working there. She has 2 other children. I just wonder what happened. SIDS? I'll never know, but my heart goes out to her and her family. I also found out that another patient who lived in OB for several weeks due to a previa with her 3rd child recently found out she was pregnant with her 4th baby. What really sucks is her husband was killed in a car accident recently. She is a SAHM, her husband is gone. Her oldest child I think is about 6? It just doesn't seem fair. There will only be very few memories of the dad for the oldest, maybe the second oldest will have a vague memory, but the youngest (1 year) and the new baby won't have any memories at all of their father. Just very sad. I just pray that these moms have the strength and faith they need.

On a more positive note, Isaiah seems to be back to sleeping all night. What I think the problem was was fenugreek. I had started taking that because it was recommended to increase milk supply. I just wanted to have more milk stored in the freezer. But, a rare side effect is abdominal discomfort and pain in the baby. I've since stopped taking it, but I think maybe that was the issue Saturday night. But who knows. I will say the that the fenugreek did in fact increase my supply. The strange thing about it: it really does make your sweat and urine smell like maple syrup! So very weird. Anyway, I think Isaiah may finally be ready for bed, so I'm off.

No comments: