July 5, 2007

Happy (belated) 4th of July

Hope everyone had a happy 4th of July. We spent some time with our friends from college who set us up, watched some fireworks and had a pretty good time. My last weekend shift was really busy. I work Sat and Sun nights from 7p-7a. Sunday afternoon, work called and wanted me to come in early, at 4:30. I like extra hours from time to time, but not added on a 12 hours shift during a pregnancy. After a little negotiation, the charge RN agreed to change my shift from 5p-5a that day. I knew that when 5a.m rolled around that I wouldn't get out of there. It was a pretty slow night. I was taking care of a former co-worker and she was progressing a bit slow, but not unusual for first baby. At 4:30 a.m., 3 patients came through the door at the same time. We also had a schedule c/s patient who would arrive at 5:00a.m. We had 3 labor RNs on at the time and one on call. She got called in, but of course, with a total of 4 admissions and the great timing of my patient going to complete dilatation, I didn't get out of there at 5a.m. Even after I had reported off on my patients and every patient had a RN, the charge RN was reluctant to let me leave. I clocked out at usual time of 7:15 a.m. And to top off a long night, I was spotting a bit when I got home. Everything is fine, baby's great, cervix long closed and hard as a rock. Just too much activity, I guess. Doc said no more 14+ hours shifts and I readily agreed. Got a sono scheduled in 5 weeks and I'm starting to waver when it comes to finding out the sex. We plan on waiting since I could end up with a scheduled c-section and we want some surprise if we know date and approx. time. But it's SO tempting to just find out. We'll see if we can hold out.

No comments: