February 10, 2011

You know you're a mother when..

When you go to a health screening and it's not until you get home that you realize that you have breastmilk spit-up on your shoulder and one side of your nursing bra is unsnapped.

Or when you start making lunch and your 3 year old comes down the stairs, sans pants, asking you to wipe his butt. You grab the wipes and realize he's covered in poo. A bath is necessary so you take him upstairs to the tub and you find his poopy underwear in his room, poop smears on the hardwood floor, on his freshly laundered comforter, on a towel and smeared all. over. the. toilet.

Or when you are rushed out of the shower because the baby is hungry and it's not until the next morning that you realize in your haste to get dressed, you put your underwear on inside-out.

7 comments:

Jessica said...

Hahaha! Had a good laugh at that! So true!

Johanna S said...

Yup! You're very much a mom! I am glad potty training is over for us, almost! We still have night accidents, so I decided diapers are great! Don't want to have to wash her sheets and bed pad four times a week! As for a rushed shower, wow, what a flashback! I remember those days. What about when the kid is a bit older, can get to you when you're peeing and wants to nurse right there?!

Melanie said...

lol, ahhhhh so very true.

taradon said...

I was running late yesterday because the baby took longer to eat than usual - I was in such a hurry that when I got dressed afterwards I put my pants on inside out and didn't realize until I got to work! Still not as bad as a sleep-deprived friend of mine who answered the door with shirt open, nursing bra unsnapped, and one breast exposed for all the world to see!

Frazzled-Razzle-RN said...

Haha, I do remember when my son was potty training and poop was everywhere! He's 11 years old now and I'll still notice poop streaks on the wall next to the toilet like where he wiped his fingers or something. It does get better as they get older taking longer hot showers etc.

Anonymous said...

A few times I have realized I didn't pull my shirt back down. Once or twice at home I checked on older kids outside carrying the baby in one arm, and shirt up after nursing. I go back to the couch and realize I had flashed the world.
Then there was the time I dropped my oldest off to dance class, nursed the baby in the car, and then got out to go in. I did hook my bra (thank God), but forgot to put my shirt down. Baby in my left arm, I turn, and see a cute father in the front seat of his truck, realize at that very moment my belly and breast (covered with bra, again, Thank God) are open to the world. I quickly pull the shirt down, and the dad is laughing. He's not a bad guy, he just saw how embarrassed I was and couldn't help but chuckle. I know he didn't get a thrill looking at my postpartum body anyway, hsi wife is gorgeos.

Lauren said...

Hilarious! I don't have kids, but I do babysit toddlers. It's a very good form of birth control :)