February 24, 2009

Comic relief

Weekends can get pretty crazy around here. I spend all week cleaning, laundering, etc until finally on Friday night/Saturday morning I look around the house and think "Well, this is pretty darn clean for a house with 3 kids and 2 cats...and a husband". Well by Tuesday morning when I finish my last of 3 nights in a row, there is never a shred of evidence that this house was ever clean. It's easy for me to come home, look at the overflowing trash, open cabinets, breakfast plates left on the table, PJ's on the living room floor, along with a balled up dirty diaper and sippy cup on the floor, cracker crumbs all over the floor in the dining room and living room, cereal bar wrappers on the floor, wipes strewn all over the living room, toys covering every inch of the toy room, etc and get really frustrated, wondering how in the world the house can look like a tornado ripped through it. And that's just the first floor. I won't ever go into the mess upstairs. And try as I might to keep my mouth shut, sometimes I can't stop myself from giving Husband a hard time about the mess, wondering why he can't keep up a bit with the cleaning, which in turn irritates him because he's trying to keep the kids quiet so I can sleep. But, there is some comic relief. Last night after supper, we were both crawling on the floor in the dining room, picking up pieces of pork and veggies and noodles that Isaiah deemed unworthy of wearing in his hair. I had a hand full of food, crawling on the floor and I look up and notice Husband under the table, also with a hand full of discarded food and we both cracked up laughing at the situation. Two grown adults, crawling on the floor under the dining room table, a baby running through the house with my cell phone, covered in food, laundry piled in front of the stairs. We are the only ones in our group of friends with 3 children, in fact most don't have any children yet. We both just thought "if they could see us now!". In hindsight, it really wasn't that funny, but at the time it was pretty funny. Looking back just a few months, we were probably at an all time low at that point. We've come a long way from then and after last night, we both realized we were alright. When you can find humor in a dirty house and a fistfuls of food thrown to the floor by your 3 children, that's love. Either that or we both have a serious case of the crazies!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, that's funny!

My SIL solves her food-on-the-floor problem a different way -- a DOG. Not sure if it's worth it to ya... :-)

-Kathy

Chalsey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chalsey said...

Sounds like my house 4 days out of 7!! haha!

Jenny B said...

That is really funny! It describes my house and I only have 1 14 month old. =/

A little something to look forward to when we have more.

Anonymous said...

You wrote that it really wasn't that funny, but if it comes across funny in a blog it had to be REALLY FUNNY. Anything on the floor, my younger cat eats it. She is an extreme foodie.~Mary

Anonymous said...

I was just praising God the other day for the dirty hand prints on my glass sliding door and the mess. I was thanking him for 3 healthy children that have the ability to make things messy. It doesn't happen everyday but I thank him for reminding me on the days it does.