July 31, 2007

I love working with donkeys

I just want to start by saying that I really don't have a problem with doctors. I enjoy working with most all of them. Some are more difficult than others, but I'm sure they feel the same about nurses. That being said, this weekend was a pain in the butt because of a jerk doctor. The same MD who was being 'difficult' Sat. night was on the rampage all weekend. The patient I was taking care of that night of course, had a huge fetal heart rate deceleration right at shift change. After trying all interventions, like O2, turning, etc, it stayed in the 70's. . Anyway, I call this ass and he tells me in a very condescending tone to "give her o2, turn her and make it happy". No shit doc, already did that, that's why I'm on the phone with you. Sunday night, he refused to listen to report on a patient and told me to call the patients primary doc, who he was on call for. She didn't answer, because she wasn't on call, and we call him back. Still said to keep trying. Eventually we got the hospital supervisor to call him to take report on this 34 week twin mom who's babies were transverse. It's time like that that I wonder why I went into nursing. Last night was much better. I had nice docs, nice patients, and had good report with them.
I noticed another small, but pleasant, effect of being pregnant. My nails are a good length and look good. I was not blessed with nice nails. And being a nurse doesn't help. They're always dry and brittle and break as soon as they get past the nail beds. And with the last two pregnancies, they didn't get any better, but this time they look great. They go great with an expanding belly that looks huge right now, thanks to the wonderfully slow gastric motility of pregnancy and the gas that builds up as a result. So I look about 28 weeks instead of 18. Well, I guess not that bad. The little critter has been letting me know he/she's in there. It's so nice to be at the point where you can feel that there's something in there. Well, I'm off to bed so I can dream about what I can do my 4 days off.

No comments: