May 13, 2009

In need of more good reading

So I am a big fan of reading, and believe it or not, I manage to find time to read (usually while in the bath, a slow night at work or cutting into sleep time). I've been a big reader as far back as I can remember. Back in 5th grade, they did a short little blurb about me in the small town paper because I had read so many books during the school year. Rare is it that I find a book I don't like. Even if there are aspects I don't like about a book, I usually end up finding something I like about it. Just like the book review I did of "Your Best Birth". While I don't agree with every aspect of the book, I still found it to be an enjoyable read for the most part. One book in particular, called "Geek Love", was one of those books that was way, way beyond my idea of a good topic to read about, but I'm still glad I read the thing. It's no longer in print, but if you are looking for a most disturbing tale of circus freaks, this is your book. Most people would find this book disturbing. I won't get into the topic too much, but look it up if you're curious. I have a hard time not liking a book, but I'll admit this book took me longer to read than any other book. One of the OB's I work with recommended it, no less. Very disturbing, but oddly fascinating. Anyway, my usual supplier of good books is trying to finish the "Twilight" series and hasn't provided me with any new books to read. Dangnabit! Ha Ha! So, if anyone has read any good books, no matter the topic, let me know. I've been re-reading all the "Chicken Soup for the Soul" books I have, and I've read several midwifery books lately. One thing I treat myself to is a bath most nights of the week, and in order for it to be a "successful" bath, I have to have a book of some kind to read, and a glass of wine. Yeah, yeah, judge me if you want. I need time to myself, even if it's 30 minutes, and enjoying a glass (or 2) of wine is good for my sanity. So, let me know what you're reading these days.

11 comments:

Mrs. Spit said...

The Amelia Peabody books by Elizabeth Peters.

The mitford novels by Jan Karon.

Taking Heart said...

Am presently reading "Stealing Home" by Allison Pittman (my new FAVORITE author). Her blog is on my sidebar... Her Crossroads of Grace series are a MUST read... about women... midwifery... faith... I love them!

Beth said...

the Twilight Series was great (a bit cheesy, but worth reading), ad anything by Jodi Picoult is excellent - most recently, I read "Handle With Care", her newest.

Mmm...nothing beats a warm bath, a glass of wine, and a great book....a good remedy to just about anything :)

Becky said...

Are you on Shelfari? This would be a great site for you to join to get book reviews and post your own, too.
I'm guessing you read "The Other Boleyn Girl" and all the others in that series. Have you read "The Red Tent?" I also like books about women in the middle east - VERY interesting! Try "A Thousand Splendid Suns," "The Bookseller of Kabul" and "Burned Alive" if you are interested in what life is like for women in that region.
I am on Shelfari and we could be friends and then you could read the reviews of other books I've read.

Anonymous said...

Inkheart and its sequels. Wonderful books. Author's name is Funke, I think. John Steinbeck-all of his books are good (and they're even better when you don't have to write a paper about them. lol.
-lpnmon

Anonymous said...

The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. Long, historical, time travel, romantic - and great characters that begin to feel as though they're real. Oh - and Scotland.

Anonymous said...

"Loving Frank", I could not put down. I loved "Geek Love", though, especially as an OB nurse.

Joy@WDDCH said...

I like suspense books by Christian authors, like Ted Dekker. In fact all I read are Christian novels so not sure if that's your cup-o-tea or not.

Anonymous said...

Stephen Lawhead is great-he writes about King Arthur, druids, etc, but from a Christian perspective. Also, Frances Mayes Italy series is great, and literally cost pennies on Amazon

mitchsmom said...

I second A Thousand Splendid Suns, and more recently I read and liked The Help a lot.
Loved the Twilight books (gotta take them for what they are... cheese and all), I'm reading Cutting for Stone right now and liking if a good bit but not loving it.

Lydia said...

I'm also a book lover.

Probably my favorite author is Lois McMaster Bujold. I didn't think I liked science fiction until I read her Vorkosigan series - great stuff. The first book is Cordelia's Honor

For older fiction I like George MacDonald. My favorites are Malcolm (also published as The Fisherman's Lady, with most of the Scottishisms edited to more standard American English), and its sequel The Marquis of Lossie (aka ,The Marquis' Secret).

For nonfiction my favorite author is John Piper. The most meaningful books to me have been When I Don't Desire God and This Momentary Marriage.

And for just random fun, I really enjoyed The Spice Book by Maggie Stuckey.