April 11, 2008

Dumb, duh-dumb dumb DUMB!!

Last night one of the things I have worried about since I started working at the hospital a number of years ago happened. First, I'll backtrack. When I started in critical care, I looked at the schedule and noticed that the grid would be very easy to misread, so I always tried to be careful. Until one day I went into work and found I wasn't scheduled that evening, but I was the next. Embarrassing, yes, but I thought at least it wasn't the other way around. Fast forward to last night. I go into work last night, and another nurse walks in at the same time and asks "Did they just screw up your schedule?" I'm confused and say "No, why?". Apparently I was scheduled to work Wednesday night instead of Thursday. She said the evening charge called and left me a message. I happened to have been up until midnight and never heard the phone ring. I'm still sure they screwed up, so I go in and check the schedule and I wasn't on for last night but was for the night before. Crap, crap and more crap. It ended up that they had flexed the staff too low because they forgot about the nursery, and so I got to stay and work, and the night before they were insanely slow. But I was mortified. I'm not in any trouble because they know I wouldn't just decide "Hey, I don't want to work, so I won't go in". ANd I'm pretty much over it, still a bit embarrassed, but I'll live. I'm surprised they only called once, though. So this a.m when I got home, I checked my calendar and yep, there it was, plain as can be that I was scheduled Wednesday. I'd like to claim insanity due to having 3 kids under the age of 5, but really, I can't. I mean, I am insane, but that doesn't cover this. I just didn't pay close enough attention. Good thing they like me :)

No comments: